Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The True Meaning of Christmas

I love receiving presents from my packies, whether it's for Christmas, or my

birthday, or just because they thought of me. I love that they think of me and want to give me something that I will enjoy chewing. Unfortunately, I can't go to a store by myself and buy a gift for my packies, so I can just give them my unconditional love and affection. And lucky for me, that seems to be all that my packies need, which I gladly give to them in abundance.

2009 was a very difficult year for many of my human friends, not the least among them were my own packies. My mom and dad will gladly watch this year fade into life's rearview mirror. And although Mom wanted so badly to be in California for Christmas this year, we will instead be together for a quiet New England Christmas, just the three of us.

Dad bought a tiny little Charlie Brown Christmas tree the other day to decorate the house, and I heard them talking about what we would have for dinner. Whatever they decide to make, I know I will have some of the left overs and it will be delicious. I don't know what Santa will give them, but my dad, on many occasions, has said that he doesn't need anything except my mom and me. He says we are the best presents you could ever receive. My mom, in turn, says that Dad is her Christmas gift.

I think that's really sweet, but I also think it goes to the heart of what this holiday is about. It's not about the presents we receive, or the gifts that we give, but it's all about the love that we share with our family and friends, the selfless acts of kindness, the tiny gestures of appreciation and the recognition that all of these things together contribute to our greater humanity.

The legacy of George Bailey is as meaningful today as it was in 1946.

1 comment:

How Sam Sees It said...

Here, here! We made a deal with all of our family to not exchange gifts. We had something small for each family, but not individual gifts. It was a very lovely Christmas, very stress free and enjoyable. We didn't have to worry about budget, and we all got together for dinner and just enjoyed everyone. It sounds like your packies were made for each other, and you are a very lucky boy indeed!

We wish you a very good 2010, with lots of luck and hugs coming your way!

Sam and Cisco